Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Well Stocked Spice Cabinet

Several weeks ago, I posted about keeping our pantry well stocked. Along with the basics in the pantry, I find it essential to keep our spice cabinet well stocked. I do not use many fresh herbs and spices at all. First, I find them rather expensive and second - and maybe more important - is that they often spoil before I can use them. Throwing away good money is not something I am a fan of at all. So, dried it is for us. It's amazing what the addition of a bit of salt, pepper, or another spice will do to a plain dish. I love to experiment with spices and I love full-flavored food! Our essentials in the spice cabinet are:

  • Salt - iodized, Kosher, sea salt, Himilayan sea salt
  • Pepper - ground black, whole peppercorns, crushed red
  • Chili Powder - regular, dark, chipotle
  • Italian Seasoning Mix
  • Basil
  • Oregano
  • Paprika
  • Old Bay
  • Dill
  • Caraway Seed
  • Poppy Seeds
  • Mustard Powder
  • Garlic Powder
  • Onion Powder
  • Cumin
  • Cinnamon - regular and Pampered Chef's Cinnamon Plus Spice Blend
  • Allspice
  • Cloves - whole and ground
  • Minced Onions
  • Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
  • Cajun Spice Blend
  • Mrs. Dash - original, tomato & basil, hot & spicy, garlic & herb ... really, all varieties!
  • Chicken and Beef Boullion

I have found that using spices can really liven up a boring meal and can make a frugal meal seem like something restaurant-worthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment