Monday, November 23, 2009

Vegetable Beef Soup

Well, it's just Monday evening and I've already deviated from my menu plan this week. But - it's okay since I had all the ingredients on hand. Mom and I decided I would bring dinner tonight during our normal Monday night visit and dad does not like lasagna. So, I started thinking about what else I had on hand and came up with veggie beef soup. This meal is a true testimony that with a well stocked freezer and pantry, you can pull off yummy, homemade meals in no time. And, the bonus for me was this required no additional grocery shopping.

Vegetable Beef Soup:
  • 1.5 lb ground beef (I had this in the freezer already browned with garlic and chopped onions)
  • 2 c tomato sauce (I had some of mom's homemade marinara in the freezer that I used)
  • 6 c water
  • 1 small box green peas, frozen
  • 1 - 16 oz bag corn, frozen
  • 1 c lima beans or butter beans, frozen
  • 2 small cans tomato paste
  • beef bouillon, 3-4 T
  • Mrs. Dash seasoning mix, original - 3-4 t
  • black pepper, 2-3 t
  1. Heat the ground beef in a large stock pot with about 2 T olive oil. If not pre-cooked, cook until beef is no longer pink.
  2. Add the tomato sauce, water, and bouillon
  3. Add frozen veggies and tomato paste
  4. Add 3-4 generous shakes of Mrs. Dash and approx 2 teaspoons black pepper
  5. Cook until everything is well mixed
  6. I did this on the stovetop, but you could easily do this in the slow cooker - just dump it all in and cook for 6-7 hours on low.
I served this with Cheesy Garlic Bread Swirls and a tray of Pillsbury simply Chocolate Chip Cookies.

This post is linked to Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam

No comments:

Post a Comment